Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pure and undefiled religion is this...

What I love about God in how he expects us to minister, is that there is no formula. There is not a five step program to doing ministry and being the best spiritual leader. It comes down to obedience.

One thing that has really stuck out to me is this whole concept of God’s agenda and not ours. And that is exactly how Jesus operated. Once he saw where the Father was working, Jesus immediately knew the agenda for his ministry. This is where we’ve messed up. We don’t do a nice job of waiting for our Father to reveal where he wants our next steps. We act as if we are continually supposed to be moving and doing something. I wonder how much we have missed out on because we didn’t watch for the first sign of His activity.

Where are your missed opportunities?

God works in ways that we cannot explain. That is why we need to be so close to him that we can hear his heart beat and know and understand the direction he has for our life; so that we can lead those he wants us to lead.

I have found myself waiting more before I make a decision on where to go next and what to do. I wait for the first sign from God. For example, I had visited a orphanage for HIV babies called House of Hope that is a few minutes from where I am staying. First off, for those of you who really know me, you know I love babies!!! I wanted to see if there was a need for me to help there for maybe an afternoon or two a week.

When I visited, the director wasn’t in (maybe sign number 1). So I talked with the lady who was running the orphanage for the day and expressed my passion for babies and wanted to see if they could use extra hands. She was busy cleaning the house and said to come back later; so I came back later. It was my intention to get a better understanding of their ministry and get to know the stories of the babies and then schedule a time each week that I could come in.

The second I got there I was handed a baby and a set of clean clothes and was motioned to the bathing room. Apparently it was bath time and I was not getting a introduction to the ministry, I was doing it. It was so hard not knowing what was wrong with these children but to be so directly connected with them. It was hard to communicate with the other ladies seeing as how they knew little English. In my 1 hour there I changed five poopy diapers, bathed 4 babies, played with 3, fed 1 and loved all of them. House of Hope has about 12 babies that have been abandoned and left to die. Most of them are HIV positive and probably won’t reach the age of 3.

I was drawn to one little baby boy in particular, he seemed to get the least bit of attention. He looks like he should be about a year old but weighs about as much as a 5 month old. He was severely malnourished. I had asked one of the ladies what was wrong with him and how long he had been there. She told me that he has been with them for 2 months and of that he has spent a month in the hospital. He had an I.V. put in his head because there was not enough fat on any other part of his body. However he is negative (is not HIV positive)

He is unresponsive to human contact, he couldn’t even look me in the eye, all he could do was wimper- he couldn’t even get out a good cry. Ugh, it broke my heart! I wanted nothing more then to pick him up and love on him for as long as I possibly could. Of course I didn’t let his medical issues get in the way of me picking him up. So, I went to go pick him up and I seriously thought I was going to break him. I was picking up nothing more than bones. I held him as tight as I could and tried rocking him to try to soothe him. Nothing seemed to work. I can’t imagine the physical pain he experiences because he was deprived of the basic nutrients before his coming to House of Hope. Coming out of malnutrition is not an easy task and it can even kill people if it isn't done properly. It is such a shock to the system when they do get the food they need that their bodies can't handle it. I encourage you all to research it; I am continually learning.

It was bath time and so I was given his clothes and off we were to scrub a dub. I thought it would be easy. After taking this precious babies clothes off I could see his bones sticking out, and his skin was all wrinkled because he had no fat- it seriously looked like he was an old man with his skin the way it was. I had to talk myself into giving him a bath. I wanted to pretend like this wasn’t real and pretend that these children didn’t have to face this. Nothing like being faced with the despair and horrific circumstances these children are in. It was so hard to see him barely hold himself up. I left with my heart ripped out- I left knowing that we have so much to give….but yet we hold so much in.

I left confused, because I didn’t know if that was something God wanted me to be a part of. I was broken because of the state of the children and how I knew very little about them. I was able to get the phone number of the lady who runs it which will give me a better idea of what I could do. But I’ve been waiting. I’ve been waiting for that sign, and not relying on my feelings and my love for babies.

Since my visit, which was about a month ago, I can’t seem to stop thinking about those children. I even dream about them, and every time I drive by the house my heart sinks. Maybe this is my sign. I plan on calling Jackie the director at House of Hope at the end of this month to see where things go. I have decided to wait until then because we are very busy moving everything out to Restore and I don’t want to neglect the needs there for that now. Waiting on God is so important in spiritual leadership, waiting to know when to move. Until then I wait and I pray.

What do you think this means? “Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world.” James 1:27

This is the kind of spotless religious faith we should be striving for. Those without parents or husbands WERE and ARE an especially needy segment of the church. Caring for them clearly demonstrates true, sacrificial, Christian love. It makes me take an inventory of my the religion I practice. Is it pure as God says pure should be? Am I remaining unstained by the world? Am I reaching out to those who have lost significant people in their life? Is my religion pure in the sight of my God?

Where are your orphans? Where are your widows? Where are the people who struggle to live each day? Where are the people who have lost hope? You don't have to go to a foreign country to do this. Look around you, there are people hurting everyone; it is our job as a Christian to love these people. Love knows no language- it translates into every language. Being here has made me realize this more and more. It doesn't even matter that I can't speak the language- I can still show these kids love. We need to love like Christ loved, without conditions, without fear, without selfishness. They will know us by how we loved.

I want to hear your thoughts on this, so please respond back!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I think you are so right on. It seems that a Christian can too easily use excuses and justifications to avoid getting their "Spiritual hands" dirty. I'm guilty, but I strive not to. The concept of asking God to reveal where He wants us to go has been on my heart big time ever since I read a book called Experiencing God by Henry T. Blackaby. So often, we (followers of Christ) have our own agenda, and plans for who to speak to, and who we want to impact. I have found it so much more effective to just listen and watch for where God has already started a work in someone. I mean, we can do nothing as humans to eternally impact anyone. . . so why not look to where God has already stepped in. I know it works, you have experienced the power. Let's continue to spread this powerful tool/concept to fellow brothers & sisters in Christ.

God bless what you are doing for the Kingdom.

Rusty Southwick said...

That was very nice, Heather. I like your humble approach, and that's a good reminder for me. I believe our Father in Heaven requires people who are humble to selflessly bring about many of His miracles.

Your dedicated service will bless the lives of others in so many ways, and ultimately it will bless you too, but I know that's not your reason for serving. Christ said he who will lose his life shall find it, and that's what you're doing.

When I was a missionary for two years, we didn't encounter people as destitute as these poor babies you're describing, and I know that must be agonizing. I think I got a small glimpse of what is entailed in giving of oneself, and I always try to draw from that.

I am involved with my own family currently, and I know that everyone has their own kinds of needs that we need to be seeking out.

Keep the faith, and strive every day to make your own corner of the world better.

Cheers,
Rusty